DENISE L. DIAZ / FOUNDER
Denise is the owner and founder of the Law Office of Denise L. Díaz, a firm based in Chula Vista, California.
A long-time civil litigator, Denise graduated from Whittier College and attended UCLA School of Law. She started her career at the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, where she investigated and prosecuted civil and criminal antitrust violations. After leaving the Justice Department, Denise advised and represented large and small businesses alike on a wide array of matters including antitrust, employment, and breach of contract cases.
After years of representing businesses, Denise began representing plaintiffs in class actions. For three years, she worked on class actions against banks and mortgage companies in which plaintiffs alleged that defendants had sold and marketed option adjustable rate mortgage loans without adequately disclosing that paying the minimum monthly payment, typically one of three payment options provided, would cause the principal loan balance to increase, rather than decrease. Many people with these loans lost their homes during the Great Recession of the late 2000's. It was heart-breaking, talking to people who had lost their homes because of these loans.
Denise then decided to transition her practice to estate planning, helping people protect and secure their assets, most particularly, their homes. She is committed to helping people preserve and pass on what they've worked all their lives to acquire and build.
If Denise isn't working or walking to the sound of salsa music, you'll find her at home being driven batty by her beloved Oreo, a demanding and occasionally horrible Shih Tzu, and Coco, a bilingual African Grey with a foul mouth who likes nothing better than telling off Oreo.
Areas of Practice
- Estate planning
- Probate administration
- Trust administration
- Will contests
- Special Needs Trusts
- California, 1992
- Virginia, 1996 (inactive)
- Washington, D.C., 1997 (inactive)
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of California at Los Angeles, UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. – 1991
- Whittier College, Whittier, California
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science – 1988
- Honors: Magna cum laude
- Author, Closer Judicial Scrutiny Will Alter Antitrust Review of Mergers in Europe, Washington Legal Foundation Legal Backgrounder, July 2005
- Co-Author, Vertical Law Reform: Fertile Ground for a New Antitrust Modernization Commission, ANTITRUST, Fall 2003
- Author, Looking Before Leaping, The Recorder, September 2002
- Co-Author, Thinking Strategically About Antitrust, Handling High-Tech M&As in a Cooling Market 2001: Ensuring That You Get Value, May 2001
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, Conservatorship Clinic, Legal Aid of San Diego
- Volunteer, ACCION San Diego